Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Pomegranate Seeds

I love when Pomegranates come into season - they are certainly one of my top favourite fruits. They are totally worth the effort and below is how I usually peel a pomegranate:


 1) With a sharp knife, cut off the top of the pomegranate. Inside you should see a star shape (all the compartments of the pomegranate seed. Cut along one of the points (in-between compartments).

2) Get a large bowl of lukewarm water and place the pomegranate in the bowl. Put your thumb in the slit you've made and pull the pomegranate apart, with the shell facing out, and the inside in the water. Once you've opened the pomegranate, try to break it up to manageable pieces.


 

 

3) Take a piece and start pushing the seeds off the shell into the water with your thumb. I would suggest doing this submerged under the water as much as possible, as it greatly reduced the amount of splatter. Continue to gently break off the seeds into the water, putting the excess shell in the garbage.






4) Once all the seeds are removed and in the water, agitate them by running your fingers through them, to release any stuck on shell bits. All these little pieces of shell will float to the top.






 
5) Drain the water (I usually try to scoop out the top layer of water with all the gross stuff first, then drain) and repeat step 4 again (and again if you need to).







6) Dump the pomegranate seeds on a paper down and pat dry, then put everything back in the bowl.


7) Eat them by the handfuls!




I usually prepare 2 or 3 pomegranates at a time so that I have lots to eat (and they go quickly in my apartmenthold). They make really great snacks, go good with any kind of dessert, and make a great addition to salads!

Kuddos to my dear friend Sandi for the helpful hints on dealing with pomegranates and getting me addicted!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I converted you to the wonders of pomegrantes! Thank Darwin for that!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete