Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pickly Beef Stroganoff

I've come quite a long ways with making Stroganoff. From just heating up mushroom soup and adding beef and noodles, to simple mushroom white sauces, I've finally made a stroganoff recipe worth sharing. I got the idea from my new cooking encyclopedia, but didn't have half the ingredients, so I took the gist of it and made my own - and was very happy with the results.  Plus I have a secret love for gravy and pickles since childhood so this recipe speaks to my soul.

Pickly Beef Stroganoff

600 g beef tenderloin or top sirloin (cut into 0.5 cm strips and patted dry)
300 g button mushrooms, chopped
2 pickles chopped (I get Claussen pickles - the best! - but any dill pickle will do)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
4 Tbsp pickle juice
1 cup beef broth
Large splash of red wine
2/3 cup heavy cream (sour cream can also be used)
1 tsp yellow mustard
Black pepper (and 1 tsp of green peppercorns if you have them)

Melt Butter in pan on high heat and sear beef strips slightly with black pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.

Add vegetable oil along with onions and garlic. Cook on medium heat until softened then add mushrooms and more black pepper. Add pickle juice and let the mushrooms soften.

Add the beef broth, wine and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and let it reduce (about 10-15 minutes).

Return meat and juices to the pan along with pickles and heat through.

Just before serving add the mustard and stir through.

Serve it over steamed rice or pasta (egg noodles are great, or penne). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment