Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Morning Smoothie




My goal is to eat breakfast before I head out the door. Here's my attempt at being healthy!


Smoothie

1 cup frozen fruit
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup fruit juice 
2 Tbsp Awake Cereals Omega Grains or 1 Tbsp All-Bran Buds
1/4 cup raw baby spinach or 1 oz frozen spinach
1 tsp flax or chia seeds
1 Tbsp honey

Blend all ingredients together. Drink.

Nutritional Tidbits:
- Vanilla and fruit flavored yogurts have a lot of added sugar so I stick with plain yogurt and sweeten my smoothies, if needed, with honey (an antioxidant and antiseptic).
-  The omega grains provides 2.5 g of fiber (and is a great local product!)
- Spinach is full of Vit A and K and also has antioxidant properties
- Flax and chia seeds are a good source of Omega-3 and plant based protein. Also, hydrophilic properties, and becomes gelatinous when soaked in water (okay not really a nutritional fact, but it turns into a fun kitchen experiment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment